Kirkepiscatoid

Random and not so random musings from a 5th generation NE Missourian who became a 1st generation Episcopalian. Let the good times roll!

 

This door seems a lot like Lent, doesn't it?  A door that's partially open, but locked.  Lent is a time we can see deeply into the mystery of God, but we are locked away from the totality of it.  We can look through the crack and see shadows, glimmers of what is on the other side.  We can hear voices from the other side, if there are voices.  We can even move the door and strain at the chain.

But when I look at this picture, I keep asking, "Is this door locked from the OUTSIDE, or the INSIDE?  If the answer is "inside," it begs the question, "does that mean the key is here somewhere on my side of the door?"  If the answer is "outside," the question becomes, "is there someone out there I can call to and ask for the key?"

Either answer addresses a human shortcoming.  How many times do our fears, doubts, and disbelief keep us "locked in" and away from the fullness of Christ's kingdom?  How many times are we simply too stubborn or prideful to ask, "Does anyone out there have the key?"

That door, between God and us, is always partially open.  Yes, it is locked, but the lock is not that hefty.  I imagine Jesus either has the key or is capable of telling me, "It's right here with you."  

0 comments:

Search

Share

Bookmark and Share

About Me

My photo
Kirksville, Missouri, United States
I'm a longtime area resident of that quirky and wonderful place called Kirksville, MO and am wondering what God has hiding round the next corner in my life.

Read the Monk Manifesto!

Light a Candle

Light a Candle
Light a candle on the Gratefulness.org site; click on an unlit candle to begin

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Creative Commons License

Guestbook

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Thanks for visiting my blog!