Kirkepiscatoid

Random and not so random musings from a 5th generation NE Missourian who became a 1st generation Episcopalian. Let the good times roll!




(Little Eddie and Boomer waste no time getting on the new bed!)

Psalm 63:

O God, you are my God, I seek you, my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.


So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary, beholding your power and glory.


Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you.


So I will bless you as long as I live; I will lift up my hands and call on your name.


My soul is satisfied as with a rich feast, and my mouth praises you with joyful lips when I think of you on my bed,

and meditate on you in the watches of the night;
for you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I sing for joy.

My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me.


But those who seek to destroy my life shall go down into the depths of the earth;
they shall be given over to the power of the sword, they shall be prey for jackals.

But the king shall rejoice in God; all who swear by him shall exult, for the mouths of liars will be stopped.


Well, at the time I read this, I thought, "I would meditate on my bed...if I had one." As part of the whole house remodeling thing, I slept on my couch from Feb. to August.

Then came the part where I actually bought a bed--a nice bed, a storage bed from Ashley Furniture, and could not use it until I got the new bedroom finished.

I had been "Mostly ok" with sleeping on the couch until I bought the bed. Then I got itchy to sleep in it.

Finally, the day came that I could move the bed in. I looked forward to sleeping in it...then I discovered...well...they hadn't sent all the pieces...namely the frame.

Agggh.

I loved how my friend Janie broke it to me. She called me at work (she was meeting the furniture store guys) and tells me how wonderful the headboard is and how sturdy the drawers were, and the mattress is comfy...and I finally realized she was holding out on me and I said, "But...????"

It was only then that she informed me the frame was AWOL.

At that point, I had a decision. Throw down the mattress and sleep on it? Or wait till the rest of the bed came in?

I opted for "wait." I decided that, given the fact I had never had a new bed in my entire adult life, sleeping on the mattress prematurely would sort of be like having one's first sexual encounter in the back seat of a '71 Chevy Impala. I had dreams of how my first night in my first new bed was supposed to be, and getting impatient would just ruin it.

When the rest of the bed came in, it was apparent it would be worth the wait.

So now I have a bed for pondering.

One of the places where I think we slip up in our prayer lives is it is probably our tendency to be pondering all the difficult things in our beds, staring at the ceiling. But how many times do we ever do like the Psalm suggests--pondering on our bed with joyful lips for God? Probably a lot less than the former scenario.

These days, my most joyful bed musing is gratitude for having a bed. My wonderful comfy mattress reminds me to be grateful. Much of the world sleeps on a straw mat. I don't mean that in a "boy, I'm lucky, look what I've got" sort of way but more in a "What can I do that can help others have a bed?" way.

What can we do for those displaced from their beds because tornadoes or floods whisked them away?

What can we do for those who have willingly left their bed and would live in fear if they returned to it?

What can we do for those who live in the parts of the world where almost no one has a standard American bed?

Yep, there's much to ponder on my bed!

1 comments:

Congratulations and Sweet Dreams m'dear!

Search

Share

Bookmark and Share

About Me

My photo
Kirksville, Missouri, United States
I'm a longtime area resident of that quirky and wonderful place called Kirksville, MO and am wondering what God has hiding round the next corner in my life.

Read the Monk Manifesto!

Light a Candle

Light a Candle
Light a candle on the Gratefulness.org site; click on an unlit candle to begin

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Creative Commons License

Guestbook

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Thanks for visiting my blog!