Kirkepiscatoid

Random and not so random musings from a 5th generation NE Missourian who became a 1st generation Episcopalian. Let the good times roll!


(Christ at the Column, detail, Hans Memling, 1485, from The Edge of the Enclosure)


8
Jesus is Handed Over to be Crucified
And Barabbas is Released

As soon as it was morning, the chief priests held a consultation with the elders and scribes and the whole council. They bound Jesus, led him away, and handed him over to Pilate. 

Pilate asked him, "Are you the King of the Jews?"
 
He answered him, "You say so."
 
Then the chief priests accused him of many things.

Pilate asked him again, "Have you no answer? See how many charges they bring against you." But Jesus made no further reply, so that Pilate was amazed.
 


Now at the festival he used to release a prisoner for them, anyone for whom they asked. Now a man called Barabbas was in prison with the rebels who had committed murder during the insurrection. So the crowd came and began to ask Pilate to do for them according to his custom. Then he answered them, "Do you want me to release for you the King of the Jews?" For he realized that it was out of jealousy that the chief priests had handed him over. But the chief priests stirred up the crowd to have him release Barabbas for them instead.
 
Pilate spoke to them again, "Then what do you wish me to do with the man you call the King of the Jews?" They shouted back, "Crucify him!" 

Pilate asked them, "Why, what evil has he done?"
 
But they shouted all the more, "Crucify him!"
 


So Pilate, wishing to satisfy the crowd, released Barabbas for them; and after flogging Jesus, he handed him over to be crucified.

Mark 15:1-15

Lord, I’ve been thinking
about the folks that I have blocked lately.
One of them, she was always posting pictures
of homeless dogs, and I just got tired of it.
Another kept sending me requests for causes.
I don’t have time for all his causes.
I’d rather let people see
the me I’d like to be;
cool and clever and snarky.
A celebrity of sorts, with over 1000 friends.
I have an image to uphold, you know.

Lord, I’ve been thinking
about the folks I’d never friend—
no one really expects me to befriend
the kid who peed on the trampoline
In 2nd grade—
Do they?

Lord, I’ve been thinking. A lot.
I’ve been thinking that this “me I’d like to be”
isn’t really the me I’d like to be.
Maybe I could start by changing my profile
To reflect a me I really could be—A me
you’ve longed to turn loose on the world.

0 comments:

Search

Share

Bookmark and Share

About Me

My photo
Kirksville, Missouri, United States
I'm a longtime area resident of that quirky and wonderful place called Kirksville, MO and am wondering what God has hiding round the next corner in my life.

Read the Monk Manifesto!

Light a Candle

Light a Candle
Light a candle on the Gratefulness.org site; click on an unlit candle to begin

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Creative Commons License

Guestbook

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Thanks for visiting my blog!