Kirkepiscatoid

Random and not so random musings from a 5th generation NE Missourian who became a 1st generation Episcopalian. Let the good times roll!


In September, 2010, four gay children died from bullying. Children are being bullied, tormented, and abused for many different reasons, and there is a distinct upswing on bullying in our schools. Please take this to prayer with me. (Note: If you wish to use this prayer in a service, you are free to use with attribution for non-commercial use. I'd love feedback on how you used it.)

Remember, all bullied children are "somebody's babies."

A Litany for children who have died from bullying
--by Kirkepiscatoid

O God of justice and mercy, we pray that no more daughters and sons in this world die as the result of bullying simply because of who they are; be it race, religion, sexual orientation, or social awkwardness. Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

That our schools become places of nurturing and hope rather than shame and derision. Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

That our teachers instill values of charity and acceptance in all children so there is no need for one child to feel superior over another. Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

That parents can put aside what they were sometimes taught, in order to promote tolerance and diversity at home. Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

That our communities support children who feel “different from the others” and show them lives that are theirs to claim, lives they cannot begin to imagine to see at home. Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

That all children can grow up feeling self-empowered and truly loved simply as themselves, and not suffer beatings and psychological abuse at home or school. Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

O Lord, you understand this above all others, for your only Son hung among thieves on a rough wooden cross on a barren hill, just as Matthew Shepard hung from a rail fence on a lonely road. Be our light in the darkness, Lord; protect our children and fill them with the love of your Holy Spirit; hold them in your Son’s loving arms in their most fearful hours, and be with them always.
Amen.

13 comments:

Thank you K, I linked to this and copied and pasted the prayer...abrazos fuerte and thanks also for being our friend,

Leonardo Ricardo

Your litany has been posted and linked over at my blog.

Many thanks to both you gents!

Thanks for this, Maria. I would like to reprint this at the Episcopal group at LiveJournal. Do I have your permission?

Sure. Just drop me a link!

I think this will get you there. If not, let me know. I just linked your address here because I know very little about making it look the way you have posted it.

This is marvelous, KirkE. I've never been more proud to call you friend.

You may remember the story I recently posted about my own abuse at the hands of a school system.

You have a marvelous gift of prayer.

Deep thanks!

Wonderful Post. I have re-posted and linked back here: http://www.progressivechristianalliance.org/Blog/articles/a-litany-for-children-who-have-died-from-bullying/

Thanks for the shout-out, Roger!

thanks,maria..i will say your prayer...and hope that i am the kind of teacher that loves every child and nurtures them , accepts them as who they are and at least have a loving place to come each day in the classroom..i have always tried to do this in my lifetime of teaching and your prayer should be said by all in the teaching profession...thank you..

Really beautiful prayer. Both you and Cole did wonderful jobs at composing something wonderful for Taize. As a kid who survived quite a bit of bullying in elementary and jr high ... THANK YOU!

That Cole is quite wonderful, isn't he?

I am sorry you had to endure bullying in elementary and Jr. High. I was lucky in that the school bullies pretty much left me alone; not so lucky in that I had a lot of other fish to fry at home. So much of the key, I think, is that the "formerly bullied" keep sending positive messages to kids that "it gets better."

One of my medical students, who was bullied mercilessly in school up to the time she left for college, recently wrote an essay on Facebook about how college was the most freeing time of her life, but the residue that still remains. I only know her as bright and capable. What a powerful voice she will be someday to bullied children as a physician.

hello im ryan petty im a singer and video maker for lots of rock bands and the last video i created was on bulling the bands name is Tabloid Trash The song title is The Day After Trinity its found on you tube or reverb nation.com this band has dedicated there song to Phoepe Prince and all the others that have lost there lives due to bulling you can cotact me at secondson123@hotmail.com for more info thank you and god bless

Search

Share

Bookmark and Share

About Me

My photo
Kirksville, Missouri, United States
I'm a longtime area resident of that quirky and wonderful place called Kirksville, MO and am wondering what God has hiding round the next corner in my life.

Read the Monk Manifesto!

Light a Candle

Light a Candle
Light a candle on the Gratefulness.org site; click on an unlit candle to begin

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Creative Commons License

Guestbook

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Thanks for visiting my blog!