Kirkepiscatoid

Random and not so random musings from a 5th generation NE Missourian who became a 1st generation Episcopalian. Let the good times roll!

That it may please thee to preserve all who are in danger by
reason of their labor or their travel,
We beseech thee to hear us, good Lord.

We just don’t even consider that every time we get behind the wheel of a car we are in “danger.” Of course, the insurance companies have entire actuarial tables on this one. If we are going to buy the farm on the road, it is most likely 25 miles from our own home—the place where we THINK we are the safest. We are deluded that “home” is safe. Most fatal falls occur in one’s home.

We don’t even consider the possibility we could be dead as a doornail five minutes from home.

Or think about “by reason of our labor.” I go to work every morning and am exposed to pathogens, carcinogens, and all sorts of toxic things. I can no longer take a tuberculosis skin test because I turned positive for exposure to TB in 1991. I had to take six months of Isoniazid and risk liver damage from the drug to remove the 4% chance that I could have it turn to active TB. I have cut in surgical specimens from people with HIV and Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C. I don’t even think about it. Not a bit. I go to work and think I’m immortal.

I have cut myself while cutting in a surgical specimen now and then. I have had the Hep B shot but that won’t protect me from Hep C and HIV. I have inhaled God-knows-what over the years.

I like to brag that I gave up a lot of “risky behaviors” like owning a motorcycle, but the truth is every day I drive to work at the risk of being smashed to bits on the highway, I work all day in a literal cesspool of chemicals and pathogens, and I go home every day to feed large hooved animals who could kick me in the head and drop me like a rock. I like to claim that now owning a disability policy has changed my attitude, but I have no attitude at all about the things I do every day that truthfully, risk my life.

We just don’t think about these things until they happen. Then they are “freak accidents,” “tragedies,” and worse yet, the “What did you expect? He/she did/was around (fill in the blank.)” But we can be just as dead from the perils of everyday living as we can the riskiest of risky behaviors.

In that respect, every day of our life is a miracle.

2 comments:

Many good points as well as food for thought here.

I can't tell you the number of times during my nursing career I've been physically or verbally threatened by patients or families--not to mention dealing with VRE, MRSA, HIV, etc. And then there is the plain just getting to work, and coming home.

And then there is the head of the stairs just outside my bedroom door, down which I'm surprised I've not tumbled yet.

We beseech thee to hear us, good Lord.

My best friend's father was diagnosed this week with his second abdominal aneurysm. Surgery for the first one nearly killed him, so I don't think they will do that again.

My friend said "What kind of life is it, knowing that you could literally drop dead any second?!" I wanted to respond "The best kind, because you actually KNOW that's likely to happen! The rest of us are no less likely to die in some sudden way--we just pretend like we are safe all the time."

The Natasha Richardson story is much on my mind today. She and I are the same age. We both have young kids. It is hard to believe that someone so young, beautiful, and vital could be dead from something so minor. And it is yet another reminder that we can take NOTHING in this life for granted.

Pax,
Doxy

Search

Share

Bookmark and Share

About Me

My photo
Kirksville, Missouri, United States
I'm a longtime area resident of that quirky and wonderful place called Kirksville, MO and am wondering what God has hiding round the next corner in my life.

Read the Monk Manifesto!

Light a Candle

Light a Candle
Light a candle on the Gratefulness.org site; click on an unlit candle to begin

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Creative Commons License

Guestbook

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Thanks for visiting my blog!