Kirkepiscatoid

Random and not so random musings from a 5th generation NE Missourian who became a 1st generation Episcopalian. Let the good times roll!



From the NYT:

Andrew Wyeth, one of the most popular and also most lambasted artists in the history of American art, a reclusive linchpin in a colorful family dynasty of artists whose precise realist views of hardscrabble rural life became icons of national culture and sparked endless debates about the nature of modern art, died Friday at his home in Chadds Ford. He was 91.

"Hardscrabble rural life".

That is probably why his paintings are so meaningful to me. My generation of rural life was not so hardscrabble growing up (just a little financially dicey) but for my Depression-era grandparents, those images were very real, and I saw ghosts of those images in old family photographs and family recollections.

My favorite Wyeth painting is the one above, "Master Bedroom." (It's in my OWN bedroom, actually!) In fact, I have a photograph of the late Mr. Willis Woo Dog sleeping on MY bed with my print of "Master Bedroom" in the background, in a similar pose. I'll have to dig that one out of the archives!

The starkness and poverty of the room is striking, yet the family dog is sleeping as if royalty. It is a scene I have seen many times over in all the homes of my life, on chenille bedspreads, hand stitched quilts, and other understated bed covers. Something about that sleeping dog, just as content in stark nothingness as in the most palatial home, hits deep with me.

His work has always been a reminder of the beauty within stark reality, and I honestly mourn the loss of this type of talent. That recognition is hard to come by.

2 comments:

Thank you for posting this; otherwise I would not have known of Wyeth's death. I too find his paintings full of meaning - find them intensely spiritual - more so than overtly religious art.

Thank you also for writing this blog. You have a great narrative gift. Your personal stories are warm, and vivid, and touch my heart, putting into words things I have felt, things I have experienced myself.

However, I am old-fashioned and feel guilty reading other people's diaries - I know that posting your thoughts on the web for the whole world to read does not necessarily mean that you are comfortable with particular people reading them - the people you know, the people you might meet on the street. So I am tortured with guilt by this unauthorized pleasure. Forgive my "snooping" and make a decent man of me - restore my self-respect by telling me "it's OK" to continue reading.

It's fine; I don't tell the juicy stuff.

Thanks also for the kudos. The blog started b/c I've always had a hidden desire to write in some "semi-professional" way, but never had the guts to put something out with my given name on it. Blogging allows me to do that and be semi-anonymous.

What I have always told people who know me in real life and discover my blog, is this: "That's fine; it's just a look at a different side of me."

Search

Share

Bookmark and Share

About Me

My photo
Kirksville, Missouri, United States
I'm a longtime area resident of that quirky and wonderful place called Kirksville, MO and am wondering what God has hiding round the next corner in my life.

Read the Monk Manifesto!

Light a Candle

Light a Candle
Light a candle on the Gratefulness.org site; click on an unlit candle to begin

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Creative Commons License

Guestbook

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Thanks for visiting my blog!