Kirkepiscatoid

Random and not so random musings from a 5th generation NE Missourian who became a 1st generation Episcopalian. Let the good times roll!

Sunday night I watched the 1923 silent version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame and right now I'm watching the 1939 version with Charles Laughton as Quasimodo. Although I have seen both versions umpteen times, something new struck me Sunday and I am running with it tonight, also. It's the concept of the cathedral itself as a "character in the story."

Ok, most of you all know the basic parts of the story. Everyone loves Esmerelda, except of course there is that dislike of immigrants in Paris ("No Jews, no dogs, no gypsies"), and there is that problem that the archdeacon has the hots for her but there is a bit of a problem with that celibacy thing. Esmerelda sees best of all the courageous and true heart that beats beneath his grotesque frame. These are all "front stories". But I am becoming more attuned to the backstory of the significance of the cathedral itself.

In following both these movies, the cathedral of Notre Dame's role as "sanctuary" is incredibly important to the plot of the story. Its elaborate variety of passages, nooks and crannies of the bell tower, and the fact Quasimodo--the "deformed" one, knows the heart of this structure is an incredibly significant part of both these movies as you follow the action from location to location inside of the cathedral. Herein might lie the bigger spiritual question for all of us.

Part of what I'm starting to realize about my own spiritual journey is that all of us have our sense of "Quasimodo-ness" in our personal dark areas, our secret sins that never came to light, our deepest fears. Yet those qualities are exactly what gives us license to explore all the nooks and crannies of "the cathedral"--the heart of God--because it is the one place we feel safe. It is the place that empowers Quasimodo to approach Esmerelda and save her.

Our sanctuaries are not always easy to see as such. There may be dark corners and wet dank areas in them, but a place of respite none the less. But just as there is authenticity and goodness in Quasimodo, it resides in us, too!

2 comments:

I like the analogy you pulled out of this. I really like the connection between our own dark places and exploring the nooks and crannies of the heart of God.

"...the concept of the cathedral itself as a "character in the story.""

And don't forget, the title of Hugo's novel is actually "Notre Dame de Paris." Why the English version became "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" I don't know.

Search

Share

Bookmark and Share

About Me

My photo
Kirksville, Missouri, United States
I'm a longtime area resident of that quirky and wonderful place called Kirksville, MO and am wondering what God has hiding round the next corner in my life.

Read the Monk Manifesto!

Light a Candle

Light a Candle
Light a candle on the Gratefulness.org site; click on an unlit candle to begin

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Creative Commons License

Guestbook

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Thanks for visiting my blog!