Kirkepiscatoid

Random and not so random musings from a 5th generation NE Missourian who became a 1st generation Episcopalian. Let the good times roll!

Today’s readings discuss “asking questions.” Asking the “hard questions” is an instrument of growth and of change. She quotes Gertrude Stein: “How do you like what you have?”

Reflection questions:

1. Meditate on your own deep questions. Do you allow yourself truly to listen to them and to seek answers? Are there other places (or people) where you could seek answers?

Uh, the honest answer is, “Sometimes.” I have to be accepting enough of the possibilities of the answers b/c they may not be what I want to hear! But when I commit to sitting still and listening, yes, I do listen and seek. The problem, of course, is sitting still long enough! I also do a fairly good job of seeking out “the right person for the job” in my discernment process.

2. Contemplate Gertrude Stein’s question: “How do you like what you have?” and then write down your response. Sometime today ask this question of a friend and just listen.

Honestly, mostly I like what I have very much. By “have” I don’t mean the stuff I have; I mean what I have inside me. I think mostly it’s good stuff. I think my perception of the good stuff, however, can become skewed by other people. I like what I have better now than ten years ago. Overall it is all getting “more likable” but wow is this a slow process!

3. Do you consider yourself a good listener? Why or why not?

Again, I’m going to qualify my answer. I’m a TREMENDOUS listener when I WANT to be! I’m like the song in the musical “Oklahoma”, “Give me all or nothin’.” I’m soooooo “all or nothin’” in my ability to listen...both when dealing with the issues of others, or listening as it relates to changing myself. I have to learn to WANT to listen better, and therein lies the challenge!

0 comments:

Search

Share

Bookmark and Share

About Me

My photo
Kirksville, Missouri, United States
I'm a longtime area resident of that quirky and wonderful place called Kirksville, MO and am wondering what God has hiding round the next corner in my life.

Read the Monk Manifesto!

Light a Candle

Light a Candle
Light a candle on the Gratefulness.org site; click on an unlit candle to begin

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Creative Commons License

Guestbook

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Thanks for visiting my blog!