Kirkepiscatoid

Random and not so random musings from a 5th generation NE Missourian who became a 1st generation Episcopalian. Let the good times roll!

Well, ok, so the story doesn't exactly go like that, but when I hear this story, I confess I always think of my friend C. When he was "between wives", as they say, he used to be the world's most pathetic bachelor. He once invited me over with what I still think is the most lame but truthful invitation I've ever heard.... to "come fix me some supper and let me keep the leftovers...I'm lonesome AND hungry..." (GEE! What a deal!) I remember opening his fridge and seeing a half empty carton of leftover Chinese food, a stick of butter, a bottle of hot sauce, and a can of beer. I remember thinking, "And what the hell was I supposed to fix this supper WITH??????"

Well, and the inside of C.'s fridge is what always comes to mind when I hear the story of feeding the multitude. I think the disciples, when Jesus asked for their food, all looked at each other with what I can only describe as the "WTF?" look..."He wants us to feed all of THEM...with THIS????"

Well, and in my mind, the miracle of this story was not "magic." I don't believe Jesus did a special magic trick to make this happen. Personally, I believe the crowed ponied up in a way not totally understood.

Ok, imagine the first row at this so-called "feed". They are looking at the five loaves and two fishes and thinking, "Is that Jesus dude crazy? He can't possibly feed all these people with THAT..." So when the food comes by, a couple guys in the front row whisper to each other...

"Psst...hey, you got a stash of food?"

"Yeah, I got a dried fish and a heel of bread."

"Throw it in. I have some dry beef. I'll put that in."

Then someone in the row behind them sees the goings on...

"Hey, Moishe, that asshole Yitzak up there just gave a dried fish! I'm better than that joker, I'll put all THREE of my loaves in, just because I won't be shown up by that mumzer!"

Well, and you get the drift. For whatever reason, good or bad, suddenly the pokes and stashes of this hungry crowd began to open, and by the time it's all over, there's food to spare.

I am sure some people will argue with my version of this miracle, and might even consider it blasphemous, but I really don't care. I think my version is every bit as miraculous, because it illustrates just how powerful the miracles you and I can produce by giving of ourselves are. Jesus doing a magic trick with bread and fishes doesn't teach me that.

The key part of this story is this: The disciples gave all they had, and trusted Christ, even when there was no reason to trust him, and no evidence that what they were giving wasn't the most foolish thing they ever did, and they reaped a bounty because of it. Can I be brave enough to give all I have to Christ and trust against the odds? Can I avoid the trap of thinking my meager collection of loaves and fishes are "not enough"? Can I live outside the realm of what I absolutely know to be true? Can I be prepared to accept the bounty of this way of life with gratitude, or will I need to figuratively "throw a rock" at it? Good questions for all of us!

9 comments:

I think you're right. The deal breaker isn't the "how." It's faith.

So what did you fix your fried anyway?

I think I ended up going to the grocery store to get stuff to make chili or beef stew or some such thing!

I really like your version...now, I've *got it* without checking with Bishop Spong this time!

I really like your version...now, I've *got it* without checking with Bishop Spong this time!

Thanks for the link! Have you seen the delightful film, Millions? It's a real charmer, and in one scene (I think it's an outtake, on the dvd) St Peter explains the miracle in much the same way. (The film's main character is a child who converses with saints on a regular basis. My favorite is St Clare, who, when the boy expresses amazement when she lights up a cigarette, notes in a broad accent, "Oh, they letcha do anything ya like up theah..."

Tobias, I'm going to have to go put this movie in my Netflix queue for sure! It sounds as good as "Saint Ralph" (that is a must see if you haven't seen that one, also...)

Look, if you don't believe Jesus made fish sandwiches for over 5000 people, you can't go to heaven. I'm sorry, I don't make the rules, I just make sure everyone knows them.

You are so wicked, Mickey. I think you have been hanging around Father Christian Troll too much!!!!

I came across your blog while surfing from others... I liked your comments on the loaves and fishes lesson... I agree with how you related the miracle could have occured too, yours was similar to what our priest has said before, but your version is much more amusing. *L*
Blessings to you neighbors to the west from a cheesehead neighbor. *S*

Search

Share

Bookmark and Share

About Me

My photo
Kirksville, Missouri, United States
I'm a longtime area resident of that quirky and wonderful place called Kirksville, MO and am wondering what God has hiding round the next corner in my life.

Read the Monk Manifesto!

Light a Candle

Light a Candle
Light a candle on the Gratefulness.org site; click on an unlit candle to begin

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Creative Commons License

Guestbook

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Thanks for visiting my blog!