Kirkepiscatoid

Random and not so random musings from a 5th generation NE Missourian who became a 1st generation Episcopalian. Let the good times roll!

Hat tip to Terry for this post. Here are my answers to the three questions and the two spares:

1. How do you feel about the term "born again"?

Kirkepiscatoid: Really really queasy, because it describes a specific type of "conversion experience" that is evangelical in nature, which is kind of foreign to liturgical, sacramental Christianity. It is a "code word" for "Are you spiritually one of us?"

2. Has anyone ever tried to save you?

Kirkepiscatoid: Oh yes. Many times, pretty much with no luck. But I do have to tell the story how there used to be tent revivals in the park when I was a kid, and at age eleven, my friends and I decided to "watch the show" (hey, small towns are boring...) and on a dare went up and got "saved." I have to admit I liked the attention, though.

3. Is there a difference between spirituality and religion?

Kirkepiscatoid: Oh, yeah. They can go together or be separate. To me, religion is the nuts and bolts of how you practice your spirituality publicly, but spirituality is much bigger than that. If I drew a Venn diagram, there would be a big circle labled spirituality, and a smaller circle labeled religion. The religion circle would be 3/4 included by the spirituality cirlce with a little bit (1/4) sticking outside the spirituality circle. That would be my version of the two for me.

Elsewhere, two additional questions are suggested:

4. Which spiritual person do you most admire?

Kirkepiscatoid: Hands down, Simon Peter. He's so human. He's so like me in a lot of ways. In for a dollar, in for a dime, but often in the middle of an "Oh, shit" moment. But despite his terribly glaring faults, he's so real and so overall solid.

5. What would you say to Christians if they would listen?

Kirkepiscatoid: Sit still and feel. Stop listening to other people so much.

4 comments:

This is so moving to me Kirkepiscatoid... It made me cry, especially those last two answers.

Be still and know...

Be still and know...

I agree totally with what you said about "born again." I view it as a process, not a one time emotional experience. I recall a bishop who, when asked if he was saved, said: "I was saved, I am saved, and I will be saved," or something along that vein. Process, process. The conversion/salvation process lasts a lifetime.

And oh, do I agree with Fran. Sit still and feel. That is great.

Also - doesn't born again smack of a one time experience. OK, that's done, check it off the list.

I think our salvation and redemption are dynamic and repetitive and must always include one another, not just "Jesus 'n me" at the one stop redemption shop.

Or as George Carlin used to say - if you are born again do you have to die again?

I think he said that anyway.

Exactly, Fran and lauralew. It's like you do it and you have to put nothing more into it. Check it off the list, done, move on to the next thing. I like that phrase "One stop redemption shop." Personally, I am saved every week when I participate in the Eucharist. Why stop with one?

My other great line I use on the door knockers is when they ask me, "Have you been saved?" I always reply, "For what?" Saved, hell, I'm gonna use it all up!

Search

Share

Bookmark and Share

About Me

My photo
Kirksville, Missouri, United States
I'm a longtime area resident of that quirky and wonderful place called Kirksville, MO and am wondering what God has hiding round the next corner in my life.

Read the Monk Manifesto!

Light a Candle

Light a Candle
Light a candle on the Gratefulness.org site; click on an unlit candle to begin

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Creative Commons License

Guestbook

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Thanks for visiting my blog!