Kirkepiscatoid

Random and not so random musings from a 5th generation NE Missourian who became a 1st generation Episcopalian. Let the good times roll!

Don't laugh...when I think of the ultimate "kick back and enjoy life" song, hands down CCR's "Lookin' out my Back Door" is on the top ten list.

So I decided to rework Psalm 118 to that tune!

Psalm 118 as sung to the Tune of “Lookin’ out my Back Door”
(With apologies to the psalmist and to Creedence Clearwater Revival)

Called to God in my distress, said my life’s a friggin’ mess
Got to kick back, let his mercies reach round.
The truth of this has set in, and pretty soon Im singin…

Doo, doo, doo, he has set me so free.

There’s a vandal at the gate, paranoid delusion that’s first rate.
Look at all the crazy critters dancing in my head.
But God’s into ascension, his mercy’s never endin’.

Doo, doo, doo, he has set me so free.

The Lord, oh he is at my side and therefore I won’t fear;
What can anyone really do to me?
Doo, doo doo.
In the rivers of God’s mercy, I drink when I am thirsty,

Doo, doo, doo, he has set me so free.

The Lord, oh he is at my side and therefore I won’t fear;
What can anyone really do to me?
Doo, doo doo.
My fears can come tomorrow, today, I won’t have sorrow.

Doo, doo, doo, he has set me so free.

Called to God in my distress, when my delusions are a mess
Look at all the crazy critters dancing in my head.
My fears can come tomorrow, today, I won’t have sorrow.

Doo, doo, doo, he has set me so free.

6 comments:

Oh wow- that is brilliant, just brilliant.

I will be sitting with this one today, rest assured of that.

Many prayers for you!

Awesome, M! This really does work. I read Psalm 118 yesterday in solidarity with your retreat and just now read it again. Wonderful work!

Now, off to my job...

I was actually kind of surprised today to find out just how many people read that psalm today in solidarity!

Very clever. However, I had managed to erase (or so I thought) all CCR music from my brain. You have proven me wrong.

I enjoyed this so much.

Oh, no, Mickey...CCR, like old cravings for nicotine, never really goes away. Esp. "Lookin' out my back door," "Midnight Special" and "Suzy Q."

Search

Share

Bookmark and Share

About Me

My photo
Kirksville, Missouri, United States
I'm a longtime area resident of that quirky and wonderful place called Kirksville, MO and am wondering what God has hiding round the next corner in my life.

Read the Monk Manifesto!

Light a Candle

Light a Candle
Light a candle on the Gratefulness.org site; click on an unlit candle to begin

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Creative Commons License

Guestbook

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Thanks for visiting my blog!