Kirkepiscatoid

Random and not so random musings from a 5th generation NE Missourian who became a 1st generation Episcopalian. Let the good times roll!

Sad news--Fr. Jake is hanging up his cleats--at least as far as his present blog is concerned. It's a loss to the blogosphere, fer sure. But I understand a piece of how Jake must feel at this point.

Jake's blog, in the earlier years of its existence was far more full of spiritual content and less full of the internal squabbles over inclusion in the Anglican world. He had a very wonderful way of looking at his spirituality, and his theology was strongly based in the "spirituality of the school of hard knocks." I could identify with him on a lot of those fronts.

But, over time, it became more filled with present tensions within the Anglican Communion over inclusion of women and GLBT folks in the leadership of the church. Good stuff, but the comments section started to be filled with spats between the "re-asserters" and the "re-appraisers". I started staying away because there was too much personal PTSD for me. It started reminding me of childhood days at the supper table, wondering when the explosion would happen that ruined our dinner and when the beatings would commence. It took me DECADES to decide that God was not lurking behind the bush, ready to spring on me and kick my ass over ever transgression or evil thought I had. I did not need to hear the so-called "orthodox Anglican" (more like "imperious Anglican") crowd dictating to me "what the Bible says" and cluttering up Jake's good articles, so I decided to quit being a regular.

But I have a feeling that might be a part of why Jake decided to move on. All this was happening right at HIS supper table. I can identify with that. Godspeed, Jake.

So...that leaves a hole for another link on this blog. I decided to add three...Susan Russell's "An Inch at a Time", FranIAm, and Mark Harris' "Preludium". All excellent blogs. Enjoy!

2 comments:

I'll miss you anyway Jake/Terry, you can be sure of that!!

I do not know how I missed this post, but I did!

And while I am delighted to be on your blogroll, I feel humbled being there as part of a post that honors Jake's work!

Thank you and peace my friend.

Search

Share

Bookmark and Share

About Me

My photo
Kirksville, Missouri, United States
I'm a longtime area resident of that quirky and wonderful place called Kirksville, MO and am wondering what God has hiding round the next corner in my life.

Read the Monk Manifesto!

Light a Candle

Light a Candle
Light a candle on the Gratefulness.org site; click on an unlit candle to begin

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Creative Commons License

Guestbook

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com

Thanks for visiting my blog!